The 3 Most Common Types of Bail Bonds and When To Use Them

The 3 Most Common Types of Bail Bonds and When To Use Them

The 3 Most Common Types of Bail Bonds and When To Use Them

When someone you love gets arrested, getting them out of jail (if possible) quickly is your top priority. Bail bonds are one of the easiest ways to accomplish this, but there are multiples of bonds that you can pick from. Here are some of the most common bail bonds Scranton PA and tips about when each type is advisable.

Private Bail Bonds

With private bail bonds, you or a loved one willing to vouch for you typically pay a bondsman 10% (this can vary by state) of the total bail amount. The money is then used by the bond company to pay the defendant’s bail and get them out of jail. This is typically used when the bail is too high to pay out of pocket, and working with bond companies is legal in your area.

Public Bail Bonds

Public bonds are used in areas where private bonds are illegal. In this case, you pay 10% of the total bail amount directly to the state. As long as the defendant makes their court appearances they will get their money back (minus a small fee) once the case has concluded. If they do not show up in court, however, they lose the 10% and are often even held responsible by the state for the other 90%.

Property Bonds

These types of bonds are insured with property, such as your home or another valuable item. They are not legal in all states, and if the person skips their trial or acts against the court’s advisements, the property used as collateral could be lost. Property bonds are only suggested if you trust the defendant implicitly (or you are the defendant).

There are many ways to bail someone out of jail. Use this simple list to help make the decision if you are ever in a bind.

Related Posts