When to Retain a Personal Injury Attorney

When to Retain a Personal Injury Attorney

When to Retain a Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been hurt in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, that is the time to secure the services of a personal injury attorney Colombia MD. A personal injury lawyer can help to get you compensation for medical expenses, loss of wages and/or earning capacity, loss of consortium, and more.

Torts 101

The word “torts” is the legal term for personal injury law. It is a subject studied by virtually all first-year law students. Torts cover cases involving physical injuries, loss of property, or even harm inflicted on a person’s reputation through libel or slander when there is no criminal action or intent involved.

A personal injury lawsuit has two main elements: liability and damages. If you have ever watched television shows like Goliath or Boston Legal, you understand that the first part deals with the question of whether or not the defendant, or accused party, was responsible for the injury in question. The second deals with compensation, or relief. In virtually every tort action, the plaintiff (you, or the person bringing the lawsuit) is asking the court to require the defendant (the person being sued) to either pay an amount of money, take some action, or refrain from a particular behavior. Usually, an injured party is seeking financial compensation for things such as medical bills, lost or damaged property, loss of the ability to do something, etc.

A tort action may also be taken for the purpose of stopping something. For example, if you are being harassed by somebody and they refuse to leave you alone, you can sue and ask the court to issue an injunction, a legal order to the person bothering you to cease and desist.

Retaining Counsel

In many cases, getting the services of a personal injury attorney Columbia MD won’t cost you anything upfront. Instead, the lawyer takes your case on a contingency basis. This means they receive a portion of any damages the court awards (usually one-third).

Related Posts